Directions Via Public Transit
Public transit provides an easy way to get from New York City and three major NY/NJ airports to the linguistics department.
- From John F. Kennedy International Airport:
Take the LIRR [Long Island RailRoad] to Penn Station in New York City. (Currently, this costs $5 plus a $2 metro card. For details, consult this page) Then, take the NJ Transit train from Penn Station to New Brunswick (see "From New York City" below).
- From La Guardia Airport:
Take the M60 bus ($1.50, payable in cash or with MetroCard) to 125th St and St Nicholas Ave, Manhattan. Take the C or A train downtown (free transfer if you used MetroCard
on the bus, otherwise $1.50) to 34th St/Penn Station (if you want to continue by train) or to 42nd St/Port Authority (if you want to continue by bus). Follow the directions from New York City below.
- From New York City:
- Best way: by train. From Penn Station (8th Ave and 33rd St) take NJ Transit's Northeast Corridor line (final destination Trenton) to New Brunswick.
- By bus (but why?): From Port Authority Bus Terminal (8th Ave and 41st St) take Suburban Transit to New Brunswick, and get off at the New Brunswick train station. Buses usually depart from gates 420 and 421 in the South Building. Tickets are $5.55 one way, $10.80 round trip, and have to be bought in advance at the ticket windows on the groundlevel.
- From Newark International Airport:
Take the NJT train from the Newark International Airport station. All southward-tending trains stop in New Brunswick. To get to the train station, take the monorail from inside the airport.
- From the New Brunswick train station to the Linguistics Department:
Walk. If you come by train, exit at the front end of the platform and you'll find yourself on Easton Avenue; if you come by bus, walk up the street until the traffic light, that's Easton Avenue. Turn right and walk up Easton to the first light. Turn right to Somerset
Street for one block. Turn left to College Avenue for two (rather long) blocks. Turn right to Seminary place. The department is at 18 Seminary Place, which is a yellowish house on your right. The whole walk should take 5-10 minutes.
In case you don't want to walk, you'll find a taxi stand as you exit the train station. A taxi to the department should cost $3-$5.
New York City Transit (subway and bus):
NJ Transit (trains):
Suburban Transit (bus):